Wednesday, June 27, 2007

flower folly

I'm feeling good about this blogging thing. It's a good forum for the English major turned lawyer. Hey, you have to make a living, right?

It was my step-mother's birthday on Monday. Last Friday, my brother and I realized that we did not have time to mail something through the cheap, yet sluggish USPS, so we decided to order her flowers via internet to be delivered on her birthday. I search the internet, I find a local flower shop, I find an attractive, yet relatively inexpensive bouquet, I enter my credit card number, and I get a confirmation email.

Then I call my step-mother on the date, and she makes no mention of receiving flowers. I confirm with my dad that, indeed, no beautiful bouquet of flowers was delivered that day. I call the local flower shop (Rosewood Floral & Gifts in Grand Junction, CO). Answerer states that she has no such order in her system, refers me to the national flower chain. I called FTD.com (the national flower chain), they say that my confirmation number is not from their system--call the local florist.

In the interim of the phone ping-pong job I am getting, I pull up my credit card statement and see that, indeed, my credit card has not been charged. I speak again with the delightful clerk at the Rosewood florist who starts calling me "ma'am" in a nasal, middle-aged annoyed pitch. She restates that she has no order; I reply that I have a confirmation email from that store that I so trustingly relied on. The clerk really gets annoyed at me now, since I'm clearly taking away from her leisure time, and says, "Ma'am, I have no such order in the computer. I am standing right in front of the computer. One wrong letter and the order just stays in cyberspace. You really should have just personally called in your order." At this point, I realize that it is futile to argue with such a rational, helpful, cheerful customer service representative. Further, I have no remedy to demand, since my credit card was not charged. I gave up the direct fight, and decided to go the indirect route--telling everyone I know about the failed transaction. Please, for your own mental health and status re: birthdays, please do not order flowers from either Rosewood Floral & Gifts or FTD.com. There. My public service announcement for the day.

* Note: Consumer research shows that when a person has a bad experience with a product or service, they generally tell 10 people. I'm working to increase that average.

No comments: